Pedagogical University of Cracow, named after the National Education Commission (Akademia Pedagogiczna im. Komisji Edukacji Narodowej w Krakowie), was founded on 11th May 1946 as the National Higher College of Teacher Training (Państwowa Wyższa Szkoła Pedagogiczna) and started its teaching activity on 25th October.
Initially, it trained primary school teachers; the education spanned over a period of 3 years and concluded with a diploma examination. As early as in the academic year of 1949/1950, it began training secondary school teachers and ran its activity within the new organizational structure based on departments. The academic institutions and posts were appointed: the Senate, the Department Councils, the Rector, the Vice-Rectors and the Deans.
In 1954 the college received the title of Higher College. Studies spanned over a period of 4 years and students graduated with a master degree. The political transformations of the year 1956 resulted in giving the college significant autonomy. For the first time the Rector was elected and not nominated. The first elected Rector was Prof. dr Wincenty Danek. Under his administration, the Higher College of Teacher Training rapidly developed. The college gained a reputation for training high-qualified teaching staff. From the academic year 1958/1959 studies were extended to 5 years.
In 1959 the University received the right to confer the doctorate degree and in 1967 the right to confer the degree of doctor habilitatus.
In 1973 the Higher College of Teacher Training received the honourable name of the National Education Commission.
In 1989 a period of political and social transformation began. The academic world faced the new task of developing a model of education and henceforth functioned in conditions of complete independence and self-government.
On 1st October 1999, the college was renamed the Pedagogical University of Cracow, named after the National Education Commission (Akademia Pedagogiczna im. Komisji Edukacji Narodowej w Krakowie).